Tuesday, July 5, 2011

4th of July Weekend

The weekend of the 4th has typically meant Pickwick Lake or pool parties.  This year we were all alone down in the Big Easy.  It was Vik's first weekend on ophtho call so I knew we'd be sitting by the pager all weekend.  I considered going up to Memphis and Pickwick but really didn't want to make the 6+ hours drive there and back.

I watched a lot of Lifetime movies.  Vik went to the hospital for a few hours every day...thankfully he never got called in in the middle of the night!  I did a lot of laundry and cleaning around the house.  I mowed and edged the front yard...avoiding the back yard like a plague b/c I don't want to pick up dog poo (did you know there are for-real dog waste pick-up services?!).  Vik studied.  We watched the Fighter and it was a good movie (it took us a few days to watch the entire movie, thanks to the aforementioned pager).  Monday I thought I'd be a savy wife and go to the grocery store at 10am to buy us a traditional July 4th meal.  I have no idea why this didn't come to mind earlier, probalby just b/c we were celebrating alone.  We ended up with baby back ribs (delish...my own recipe, thank you very much), creamed corn, green beans, baked beans for Vik (ick) and apple pie a la mode. 

We ended up having a fun weekend, just hanging out with our children at home.  I was definitely envious of everyone posting lake/beach pictures and such on the FB.  One of the hardest things about moving away is missing family and friend holiday traditions!

Now I've got to make some plans for Labor Day b/c I don't want to sit around the house again...

No comments:

Post a Comment